I absolutely loved this game! I couldn't stop laughing! The text in the game is hilarious and I really enjoyed the narrative! Thank you so much for this and congrats on finishing it!
Words Must Die
A downloadable game for Windows and Mac OS X
NASTY JACK'S BACK IN TOWN.
HE'S AT THE SALOON.
IT'S TIME TO SHOOT HIM AND HIS NASTY GANG... WITH A GUN.
Words Must Die is a story-game where you're playing a hypertext game, but it's also an FPS. And you're shooting the words with your gun. (Your FPS gun.) And in the story you're also shooting a gun-- an imaginary, narrative gun.
Listen: there's guns.
Words Must Die is a submission to the Pippin Barr Game Jam. It's based on the following Pippin Barr tweet:
░ ░ GAME IDEA
░ ░ ░
░ ░ ░ ░ YOU'RE A COWBOY
░ ░ ░
░ ░ AND YOU DONE WRONG
░ ░ ░
░ ░ ░ ░ SO YOU NOBLY RELOAD
░ ░ ░
░ ░ AND TRY TO DO RIGHT
— P░pp░n B░rr (@pippinbarr) July 18, 2016
We'd also like to thank Christine Love for her wonderful hypertext game Even Cowgirls Bleed, which heavily inspired this game.
Paper Nerds is:
- Brody Brooks | Programming and Level Design
- Kris Calabio (Twitter) (itch.io) | Sound Composer
- Mark Calabio | 2D Art
- Travis Ford Decastro | Music and SFX
- Brian Maynard | Programming and Level Design
- Laura Michet | Writing and Game Design
- Rosstin Murphy | Programming
- Kent Sutherland | Writing and Game Design
"Words Must Die is what happens when a first person shooter and visual novel have a beautiful baby." - Kotaku
"It's certainly the best western-themed FPSIF I can think of." - RPS
"Congratulations!" - Mom
- Updated final passes on music
- Fixed player able to leave level bounds when saloon is hidden
- Added in-game pause menu (hit Escape)
- Added more variety of saloon folks
- Added Quit option to main menu
- Fixed mouse cursor being active when starting the game
- Fixed text in the beginning being difficult to read
- Fixed some broken button links
- Fixed ending music not looping properly
If you're finding the download links below are not working, here's a mirror:
|Published||11 days ago|
|Platforms||Windows, Mac OS X|
|Authors||Paper Nerds, PlungerGames, Kent Sutherland, Brody Brooks, The_Ulf, Laura Michet|
|Tags||Boss battle, Comedy, Crime, FPS, hypertext, Physics, Story Rich, Western|
|Average duration||A few minutes|
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.
Gotta' love a bit of cowboy IF, even though Twine meant a whole different thing to them back then.
Bahaha this is weird and wonderful! Thank you!!
Ahhhhh this is excellent!!
Windows download link doesnt work.
This seems to be happening sporadically for some people. I've added mirror links to the bottom of the description. Hope that helps!
Really cool game! :D I guess there's several endings to it as well? :)
Anyways, here's my Let's Play of it! :D
Stay Rad Everybody!!